Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a disorder that affects the children as well as the teens. ADHD can continue till adulthood and is an extremely common mental disorder that is diagnosed in children. So what exactly happens in ADHD? Well children who suffer from this disorder are hyperactive and uncontrollable, which results less concentration. All the hyper activeness due to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder interferes with the normal school life of the kids. It is said that ADHD is more common in boys than it is in children and is usually discovered during the initial years of schooling.
ADHD in Adults
ADHD can in some cases be diagnosed in adults; this can cause trouble in working, managing time, in being organised and in doing a job. Such people can also face troubled relationships and might deal with a problem of low-self esteem.
To treat Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder one can use stimulants and nonstimulants; sometimes one can even use antidepressants:
- Stimulants– For children and teens stimulants are the most common; this is what the doctor suggests and tries at first. Stimulants are being used for a relatively long time as they help in controlling the brain and the behaviour. Stimulants also help in increasing the concentration level but those children who suffer from other medical conditions should not take stimulants. A doctor should never prescribe a medication for kids without knowing their medical history. Amphetamine, Dextroamphetamine, Methylphenidate and Lisdexamfetamine are a few stimulants that are used.
- Nonstimulants– These are different from stimulants but are helpful in developing concentration and in controlling the impulses. In some cases they prove to be better than stimulants and can be used along with stimulants.
- Antidepressants– They are not specifically prescribed for ADHD but they are great for controlling hyperactivity and impulsivity. Antidepressant can be taken along with a stimulant by children who suffer from ADHD and mood disorders. There are several types of antidepressants like:
- Tricyclic antidepressant- This antidepressant affects the brain; nortriptyline, imipramine and desipramine are some examples of Tricyclic Antidepressants.
- Bupropion- This is prescribed only if the child doesn’t respond to stimulants.
- Armodafinil 150mg – This is a drug that also affects the brain and also helps in improving the mood and concentration level in children as well as in teens.
Side-effects of ADHD medications
These medications to treat Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder can have their own side-effects, especially when the treatment is started. The side effects are not very serious and go away in some time but it is better to talk to the doctor before starting any new medication. In case you get worried about the side-effects then it is better to call a doctor.
Except for these medications, one can also use omega 3 supplements, they are also said to help children recover from ADHD. Doctors also give prescribed omega 3 supplements; children may also benefit from a change in diet and by avoiding certain foods. Talking to the doctor is the best that one can do and also you can buy at online stores like geekmeds pharma.